In both of our previous two Ofsted inspections the Mathematics Department was judged to be outstanding.
The department aims to:
- Make Mathematics accessible and enjoyable to all pupils.
- Maintain high standards and enable all pupils to realise their true potential.Develop pupils’ confidence in their mathematical abilities.
- Ensure that all pupils leave the school able to cope with the Mathematics needed for every day life.
- Present Mathematics as an essential element of communication and as a powerful tool for problem solving.
- Prepare the majority of pupils to be entered for the appropriate level at GCSE.
- Ensure that all pupils wishing to follow a Mathematics course in higher education have the best possible preparation.
- Meet all the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Key stage 3 Maths is primarily focused on building on the knowledge, skills and understanding pupils acquired during key stage 2 and preparing pupils for GCSE studies. During key stage 3, pupils develop their mathematical process skills and consolidate and extend mental and other techniques for calculation. Pupils develop their ability to visualise and analyse geometrical situations through activities that address increasingly demanding problems.The Maths department are fortunate to have a class set of laptops which are used to enhance learning through use of ICT. Pupils make use of an increasing range of resources and technological tools to explore mathematics.
We currently follow the Edexcel specification for GCSE Maths which is a two tier examination.Â Higher Tier is for grades A* to C and Foundation Tier is from grades C to G. No coursework is required for this examination.We also offer GCSE Statistics, again taken with Edexcel. This subject includes the completion of a piece of coursework in Year 10/11.
We offer A-level Mathematics (Edexcel) and Further Mathematics (MEI/OCR). Our success is reflected in the number of students who choose to study Mathematics at A-level.
We run Maths Club every day, which is a place for students to get help with their maths, particularly homework.
In addition we run Puzzle club and Chess Club.
We run competitions and clubs for those with a flare for mathematics.
Mr Sheikh – Acting HoD
- Ms Agogbua
- Mrs Ali
- Mrs Begum
- Mr Etemadi
- Mrs Folley